পৃষ্ঠাসমূহ

Friday 20 March 2015

YOUTH ON THE LAMP-PART LAST


There were other robberies and plenty of them! One night I went to a wild party and the next morning a fellow named George and I were seated in a car we had stolen, in front of the Maryland Apartments at 363 Page Street. I was half asleep when I felt someone step on the running board of one side of the car, and someone on the other. I looked up and there stood Officer Rasmussen of the robbery detail and another officer. I had no chance to draw my gun as they had me and my pal covered. Believe me, it’s a grim felling to look down the barrel of a six-shooter and know that the law is on the side of the man holding it. He can shoot and go free!

Thatcher, do you have a gun? Rasmussen asked. He knew both me and my reputation.

Sure, I answered, in the right-hand pocket of the car. I wondered, how could I make a break? They’d kill me if I resisted, but there must be something I could do.

The other officer opened the car door and got the gun.

Get out of the car, Rasmussen ordered. We did and they patted us to see if we had a them careless, so when Rasmussen searched me, I pulled in my stomach and he missed the gun

I had under my belt. Fine, that was the break I wanted! Rasmussen took the key out of the car and ordered, Get behind the wheel.

I crawled under the wheel and waited while Rasmussen and the other officer put my buddy into the police car. Rasmussen turned and started toward the car. I reached for my gun, determined I was going to get that key from Rasmussen and get away, whatever the cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment