পৃষ্ঠাসমূহ

Monday 9 March 2015

KEWPIE DOLLS TO CRIME-PART FOUR

We slipped out of the bed, ripped those old sheets into thirds and tied them together. We were on the third floor and knew it was a long way down. We tied the end of the sheetrope onto the bedpost. Jimmy eased up the window and I pushed the sheet out, trying to peer down in the darkness, but I couldn’t see anything. I gulped, “Them is awful old sheets. Suppose they break? I weigh plenty.”

Well, you’re smaller than I, Jimmy answered, and besides we can’t back out now, if the guard catches us, he’ll give us a whipping for sure for tearing up the sheets.

Yah, he would, I agreed, wishing I had thought of that before, not after, we tore up the sheets.

You go first, Jimmy urged.

Well all right, I said, and grabbing the sheet real tight, feet first, I slid over the window sill. My heart was in my mouth, as, with a prayer, I kept close to the wall, edging down about three feet and then I hit something solid I was on the fire escape with relief, I whispered, Come on, Jimmy, its okay.

Down came Jimmy and we went down that fire escape, with jimmy repeating over and over again, Let’s get out of here.

Let’s I answered, as we helped each other climb over the wall, into the San Francisco fog.

At first the fog seemed friendly because it would hide us, but soon, it was only cold and damp, and we had no place to go. We wandered down the streets, this way and that. When dawn came, we found an old sewer pipe and crawled into it to hide. It was a long, cold day, with the wind blowing the fog into the pipe. We shivered, our teeth chattered, we were hungry and lonesome, but we were free and that’s the grandest feeling in the world. We talked about the boys at the home and what chumps they were to stay.

When it was dark again, we crawled out of the pipe, with one thought we had to eat. Jimmy had only a father. He lived in Oakland so we went down to the San Francisco docks, to where the freight cars were ferried across the Bay. We managed to get into a refrigerator car, where, if anything had gone wrong, we would have been suffocated, but lucky for us nothing did. We made it to Oakland and to Jimmy’s home. His dad was at work, so we fixed up about a dozen scrambled eggs, some milk, and other stuff. Then we found some of Jimmy’s old clothes, a coat, shirt and sox, and with all the bravado of a couple of twelve year olds, we were ready to face the world.

We headed for the freight yards where we caught a train to Sacramento. We’d done all right for ourselves at Jimmy’s home, now we’d see what we could do at my home. As soon as I hit Oak Park, I saw some of the old gang and they told me, Phil the police have been here looking for you. Talking to your mom.

That was enough for me I wasn’t going back to Boys Aid. Jimmy and I high-tailed it back to the freight yards and hopped a freight train headed north. We managed to reach Roseville before we were picked up in the freight yards by the R.R. police.

They took us to the police station and asked us plenty of questions to which we gave no answers. Already I had learned one of the most valuable assets of a crook and that was to keep my mouth shut. They threatened us. We sat there and defied the officers. They slapped our faces. We had nothing, but nothing to say. They retaliated by throwing us in jail.

No comments:

Post a Comment